If you are sick and have a fever, some of the best ten foods to reduce fever-like symptoms include: coconut water, orange juice, broth soup, ginger, lemon, steamed vegetables, fresh fruits, teas, angelic roots, and garlic. First, coconut water is a way to rehydrate and keep your body cool, which helps reduce a fever back to your body’s normal temperature of 98.6 Fahrenheit. According to WebMD.com, a fever occurs when your body temperature is above 100.4 Fahrenheit. Therefore, it is electrolytes, potassium, and vitamin C found in coconut water that helps replace electrolytes and water; whereas, vitamin C is known to boost your immune system. That is why orange juice is also one of the best ten liquid foods to consume when you have a fever. Emily Brown says that for calcium, chloride, magnesium, potassium, and sodium to function in our bodies effectively, electrolytes must exist in our bodies.
What’s more, orange juice is a liquid food that not only boosts your immune system for energy, but also promotes resistance against infections, as stated on HealthAndCare.in website. Bacterial infection, for instance, can cause a fever among other ailments such as inflammation, as noted by Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research. Third, broth soups such as chicken or vegetable help reduce symptoms of a fever because it will protect you from dehydrating. The same way that teas, such as herbal teas, can help with hydration. However, adding ginger, lemon, and/or other herbs such as angelic roots to your tea will also benefit you in reducing fever-like symptoms. Lindsey Duncan, DN, CN, says that ginger is a powerful herb filled with nutrients and compounds to help fight off illnesses. He says that ginger has been shown to provide faster relief of flu-like and fever symptoms.
Although that may be true, Organic Fact’s website says that lemons like orange juice and other fresh fruits contain vitamin C, and other types of vitamins and protein. Because lemons have flavonoids containing antioxidants, lemons help prevent fever along with many other ailments such as cancer. Even steamed vegetables provide the right vitamins and nutrition in your daily diets to prevent illnesses like a flu and fever. Actually, Angelic root is a biennial herb like ginger, says UsesOfHerbs.com, where the leaves can be mixed into grind herbs, and when warmed, can help reduce a fever.
Finally, another food to help reduce fever is garlic, and like egg whites, garlic can be made into a solution to put on your feet that will reduce fever. Surely, there are plenty of food remedies to reduce fever-like symptoms, but adding coconut water, orange juice, broth soup, ginger, lemon, steamed vegetables, fresh fruits, teas, angelic roots, and garlic to your diet will help you decrease the risk of catching a fever.
- WebMD.com, Body Temperature, Retrieved from http://www.webmd.com/first-aid/body-temperature
- Emily Brown, Electrolyte Replacement, Explained Do you need to sweat the small stuff?, 2009, Retrieved from http://www.rivercityraces.com/files/user/Electrolyte_Replacement.pdf
- HealthAndCare.in, How to control fever naturally? 2009, Retrieved from http://healthandcare.in/how-to-control-fever-naturally/
- Mayo Clinic Staff, Causes, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/fever/basics/causes/con-20019229
- Lindsey Duncan, DN, CN, Ginger, a Powerful Herb, The Dr. Oz Show, 2011, Retrieved from http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/lindsey-duncan-nd-cn/ginger-powerful-herb
- Organic Facts, Health Benefits of Lemon, Organic Information Services Pvt Ltd., 2016, Retrieved from https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/health-benefits-of-lemon.html